Halloween is just around the corner! With Halloween being the second most common holiday for pets to go missing or end up ill/ injured, we here at Clear Creek Animal Hospital would like to share some tips for keeping pets healthy and safe:

Make sure all pets are microchipped and have a collar with ID tags.

Keep your pets away from any Halloween candy or treats! Chocolate can be very toxic for dogs and lead to vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, increased heart rate, and in extreme cases, even death. Some other common candies and gums contain xylitol, which is also very toxic to dogs! Xylitol can cause a decrease in blood sugar which can lead to tremors and seizures. In case of an accidental ingestion of any treats that may be toxic they should be seen by their veterinarian right away. The ASPCA poison control number is 1-888-426-4435. (There is a fee)

Pets can be easily startled by the doorbell ringing and guests in costumes at the door. Making sure pets have a safe, quiet place to stay during this time will ensure that you, your pets, and trick or treaters have an enjoyable evening.

Remember to also keep candles out of reach of pets and have electrical cords and wires covered.

We hope everyone has a fun, safe Halloween! We would love for you to share your furry friends in their costumes on our social media!